Updated usually on Mondays and/or Thursdays!


Thursday, July 9, 2015

ToT+Travel Diary: B.U.tiful Boston

"Embrace Your Many Passions"

Cheers to the 20th post on Letrendary!

I've been trying to write this first paragraph for over an hour. I had multiple ideas in mind for today's blog post, but they were all so sporadic that I didn't know how to tie it all in. I didn't want to superficially summarize my trip in Boston in a shallow way. After lots of reflection on my summer so far, I realized that I understood my identity on a deeper level from my 4 weeks of summer so far.

Every individual isn't one big thing, but a million little things. I transposed that from a quote I read about friendship. You and I are molded by the people we interact, the places we see, the hobbies we enjoy, and the culture we embrace. I want to make the most of this summer because it is my last as a high-school student. In other words, colleges are making sure that I'm not lounging on my couch watching Sherlock everyday.

What's funny is that my summer turned out completely different from what I had in mind up to April. I had initially planned to spend my summer focusing on my major of interest: Sociology and International Relations. By May, I realized that it wouldn't hurt to go to Denver and Boston to test out 2 career paths I had never considered, but have interest in--medicine and journalism. I am very fond of the idea of becoming a doctor, but let's just say science and math aren't up my alley. I also entered high-school thinking I wanted to be a traveling photojournalist and news anchor. However, I changed my mind freshman year because I'm neither the most talented nor the most enthusiastic writer.

Both experiences have allowed me to see myself as a more holistic individual who wants to pursue multiple passions and interests in the future. I no longer see myself just as a future international human rights lawyer, but as a future international human rights lawyer, ambassador, blogger, and photojournalist. Maybe I'll even do some medical work on the side because of my new-found interest in health care for low-income families and refugees. You are in complete reason to think it's impractical and overtly ambitious. But think about it. Lots of people have lots of interest--why limit yourself?

From what I've observed, people try to funnel their talents as much as possible. I don't see the point. I received an e-mail from Yale 2 nights ago and they said their "curriculum pushes students to embrace their many passions, not choose between them...students embrace the unexpected, even as they pursue their long-term goals...exploration isn't just possible it's expected." I opened this e-mail while I was on a solo walk for fresh air along Boston's beautiful Esplanade at 10pm. I smiled. I thought to myself, "Yale gets it." It's comforting to know that I don't have to live my life dedicated to just one passion. Do everything you love because there is a way to tie it all into your life.

On a side note, I also recently created a VSCO cam account to organize all my aesthetically appealing pictures, and I'm officially obsessed!! I already have 2 pages since I've come to Boston. Check it out! http://dorothykang.vsco.co/

Also, if you were wondering, I came to Boston for a Broadcast Journalism program at Boston University (BU). Yes, I was inspired by my love for Wolfcast. Broadcasting and photojournalism for the win! And now...please enjoy my travel diary photo-journal below!

Travel-Diary #2: Boston, MA

The view from Harvard Bridge, which connects Boston University to Cambridge, specifically MIT.


The Boston Museum of Fine Arts. Stunning. Art pieces ranged from Renoir to Monet to Pollock. I only know Renoir because of my Mock Trial case last year. I impersonated as the trial defendant, who was an art enthusiast of Renoir. 






Interviewing a Massachusetts State Rep at the Statehouse
Filming stand-ups on the streets of Boston.

Panaroma of Boston University

The Esplanade. All day, everyday. 

Spotted: 3 broadcast journalists on Newbury St!

Fenway Park: Red Sox Game...10 innings and 4 hrs 23 min. Yea, it felt eternal...not only to add that the Red Sox lost.

4th of July with the best girls ever--ft. Siena, Julia, and Keely
Fireworks by the Esplanade
JFK Library with a beautiful harbor right outside
Harvard University:
This was my first time at Harvard. Supposedly it's good luck to touch the left foot of John Harvard, so I didn't touch it. Can't follow the crowd haha. Harvard Square and Cambridge had an awesome and fun environment community. I was impressed to say the least.
Roxy's Grilled Cheese Food Truck. YES. New England Lobster Roll and Clam Chowder. Yes. Amarino. Yes.

 Reflection Pool near Northeastern. Thanks Lynn for showing me around!
Boston, you are beautiful.

Much love to the my amazing and beautiful friends, Julia, Siena, and Keely, who made the past few weeks in Boston so unforgettable and fun! I will miss you guys so much, and I can't wait to see you all again. I don't doubt that I'll be back soon. xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment