Updated usually on Mondays and/or Thursdays!


Monday, June 1, 2015

TFIOS: The Fascimile in Our Styles

Hello world! I'm sorry it's been a little infinity since my last post. If you're a high school student, I think you'd agree with me that May is the most academically rigorous month of the school year. However, Diana and I are back today! We have a lot of awesome ideas for the summer, so we hope that you'll keep checking into our blog. This post is literature and movie inspired by The Fault In Our Stars! It is pretty likely that you might have read the book, and if you haven't already, I'm assuming that you aren't planning to at this point. Therefore, I won't give a whole synopsis of what the book is about. Instead, I'm going to be sharing my favorite quotes from the book! Also, today's title pun has the word facsimile because...YES. I have the same dress that Shailene Woodley wore in TFIOS! (Facsimile means an exact copy...except I didn't copy her. I had it before the movie came out!)

LBD: Little Black Dress

I read The Fault In Our Stars during my freshman year, around the time it was becoming very popular. I watched the movie a whole month after it came out because I had been out in D.C. when the movie was released. I remember sitting in the plane to D.C. and seeing the woman next to me silently shed tears while reading the last few pages.

I had gone to watch the movie with one of my close friends, and I remember watching the movie and freaking out when I saw Hazel Grace wearing the SAME EXACT DRESS that I owned to Gus's funeral. (Sorry, spoiler!) I obviously had never owned something that an actress wore in a movie, so it was a very, very exciting moment.

Here's my favorite quote from the entire movie:

Some infinities are bigger than other infinities. A writer we used to like taught us that. There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers than I'm likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful.

 
I bought this dress at Nordstrom a year and a half ago. I've worn it countless time for different piano competitions. It is classy and simple, which is what I love about it.

A tip for anyone: If you don't know what color dress to wear, just go with black! It is arguably the best color for classy events, and it is easier to hide stains!

Above is a picture of Hazel Grace and Isaac after Gus's funeral. This was the only picture I could find of Hazel wearing the dress. If you watch the movie, you'll be able to see it better.
"As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once."

 
Shoes: Aldo

I think the greatest perk of wearing black is that it allows you can match it with any color. It isn't really possible with any other color.


“The world is not a wish-granting factory.” 

“Oh, I wouldn't mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you."

Sorry for all the sappy quotes, but the quotes are one of the reasons why so many teenagers love it. Let's be honest, sad love stories can be tragically magical. The plot of this book is so impractical, yet John Green's style of writing is so down to earth that it just makes the reader believe in every word wholeheartedly. I think TFIOS is one of those books that you absolutely love once you've finishing reading it. However, I think your impression of the overall book isn't as great after some time. At least that's the way it was for me. I'd strongly suggest that you read Papertowns, another one of John Green's books, if you haven't already. It is a fun read, and the movie is coming out in July!





No comments:

Post a Comment